Family Violence Definitions
The following definitions are the actual definitions from the law. Go here to see more Texas Laws.
"Family violence" means:
- an act by a member of a family or household against another member of the family or household that is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault or that is a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself;
- abuse, as that term is defined by Sections 261.001(1)(C), (E), and (G), by a member of a family or household toward a child of the family or household; or
- dating violence, as that term is defined by Section 71.0021.
- "Dating Violence" means an act by an individual that is against another individual with whom that person has or has had a dating relationship that is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself.
For purposes of this title, "dating relationship" means a relationship
between individuals who have or have had a continuing relationship of a
romantic or intimate nature. The existence of such a relationship
shall be determined based on consideration of:
- the length of the relationship;
- the nature of the relationship; and
- the frequency and type of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship.
- A casual acquaintanceship or ordinary fraternization in a business or social context does not constitute a "dating relationship" under Subsection (b).
"Household" means a unit composed of persons living together in the same dwelling, without regard to whether they are related to each other.
Member of a Household
"Member of a household" includes a person who previously lived in a household.